Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I'm remembering how much I loved Algebra in school

But, I'm hating it now. My daughter hates math. I hated math. But, she is doing Algebra, and I loved that. But, they call it math, so she just assumes she hates it because she hates math.

At the beginning of the school year, she decided she did not want to do her math homework. So, naturally, she now has an F. I'm not even going to go into how grounded she is.

Her teacher finally told me at 5 pm on Friday why she has an F. Because she had 7 assignments she never turned in. Well, school was already out, so I couldn't tell her to bring her book home.

She brought it home yesterday and today. She gets home around 2:45 pm. Both days we have been doing her work from the time she gets home until 9:30 pm. Mind you, her bedtime is 8 pm (she has to get up at 5:30 am).

So, it has been a very long week already. She is just not grasping the concepts, and since I know them, and have known them since forever ago, it is really hard for me to explain them to her in a way she gets. Without me getting frustrated.

And since she is doing hours of this stuff and getting to bed late, you can imagine her temperament. Especially when she doesn't grasp something. She was crying earlier saying she was dumb. I just don't know what to do! I've emailed her teacher asking if we can get a tutor to help her. Math has never been good for her, but in elementary school, the teachers noticed that and helped her extra. That doesn't seem to be happening now that she's in middle school.

BTW, she is 11. Just a great age all around.

1 comment:

a real librarian said...

Ugh...Math...

I wish you the best with that!!!