Wednesday, December 10, 2008

AT&T. I don't like them.

I know I've ranted about Cox. Not it's AT&T's turn.

I've been with AT&T for awhile now, maybe 5 years or so. I used to have a phone, don't remember what it was because I've tried hard to forget it. It was one of those windows mobile devices (like a treo, but i think a step below). We were on the phone ALOT with them regarding problems. The problems were never really fixed, I just had to adjust and not use the phone for the reasons that I bought it. It was very upsetting.
And I threatened them a few times to change carriers. They flat out did not care if they lost my business or not.
But, because of the breaking contract fees and other things, I stayed with them. I was determined that once the contract was up, I would be taking my business elsewhere.

I decided what new phone I wanted, a blackberry. It was a specific blackberry, and at the time that I got it, AT&T was the only one who carried it. It was a very hard decision, but I ended up staying with AT&T because I wanted THAT specific phone.

I've had the phone since sometime this summer, maybe around May? And would be happy to report NO problems. But I can't do that. Last night we had problems.

You see, I like to text. I'm a very busy person and I hate to talk on the phone, usually don't have time for it, or I'm in a place where it's not appropriate. So, I text. I text my friends, my daughter, and most often my husband.

You know the husband texts, "can you pick up some milk" "don't forget about the game tonight" "i'm working late" etc....

Well, the husbands phone is his company phone. The company has decided to ban texting. They don't want to pay for the texting plans, and to use it without a plan is too expensive.

My first response was, "Well, they're not going to be happy because you're getting a new phone to text on and won't be carrying both around. They won't be able to get ahold of you!"

Have I ever mentioned that I'm not a rational person??

DH is rational. He has been finding a workaround to this problem. Since we both have blackberry's , he thougth we could use the blackberry messanger. We both have unlimited dataplans, so no big deal.

Well, my blackberry messenger would not work. DH finds another solution. You can install MSN messanger. Yay! Then I can chat with all my IM friends while I'm on my phone!

It became a big deal. It would not work on my phone.

Even though blackberry offers these services, AT&T won't support them. My rational is that if the phone you buy from a company offers services, then the place you bought it from should support them!!!

Anyways, now that I'm getting to the point. DH calls AT&T last night to find out why these things aren't working on my phone. He spends one hour and 52 minutes on the phone with them, and speaks to 5 people. Thank you honey, for being so patient.

The first person seemed to be going ok. But they couldn't find the problem and she wants to do a hard reset. The term "hard reset" scares the crap out of me. I had to do the with my old phone, or at least they told me I had to. Even though I backed up, I still lost stuff. It is a VERY time consuming task.

Wow, I started this post a few days ago.........and I can't seem to finish it. It is way too long!!

After a few more people that couldn't help us, we FINALLY got someone who did. I don't know what he did, but he made it all work. He said he ran some updates and other things..........he's not even sure exactly what he did to make it work. It could have been one thing, or a combination of things.

We it was fixed, I told DH to get his supervisor on the line to compliment him. So often we only ask for the boss in order to complain. I think offering compliments are a great thing to do. We do this in retail stores and restaurants too.

OK, that is it. Thank you DH and the guy that finally wanted to help us.

No comments: